Thursday, January 21, 2010

Landmudlifedebris Flow





Amidst the snow-covered power-outages and desert road tornadoes along the 10 interstate, Los Angeles communities are suffering from post-wildfire damages and are [smartly] being evacuated all over again.

"In the upper reaches of suburban La Canada Flintridge, where mountainsides rise sharply from the backyards of homes, authorities put pink ribbons on the mailboxes of residents who stayed behind so they would know where to search in the event of a catastrophe.

One person who stayed was Delos Tucker, a retired geologist who has lived in the community since the homes were built in 1962.

'I'm just gambling it's not going to happen,' he said. ''Let's hope I'm right.''"

(LA Times article/photos)

As the FIFTH storm blows in, and my cabin fever here in Whittier (especially without a physical class to attend) is driving me slowly out of my mind. My three trips outside were to collect mail, food, and rescue a discarded, waterlogged Kendall organ along the street-- during which I found phenomenal floods and undiscovered crevices left along adjacent properties from the Narrows quake.

Next week begins the route toward The End. The Senior Project draft is drafted. The research is cited. The community is under siege for my interviews and answers for future disaster preparations. My petition to save my inspirational advisor's career at Whittier will be further circulated (50 signatures already!). I hope to end this chapter in Whittier, California with a bit more resolve and optimism before I head up north to chase the big green clouds up in San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am an eco-nazi flaneur stuck in East LA.